Solved: Mounting Synology DiskStation SMB Share from Ubuntu
Today I received my brand new Synology DiskStation DS411 NAS and I was eager to start transferring files off my old Ubuntu server onto it. I immediately ran into a problem with Ubuntu: though my DiskStation showed up in Network > Windows Shares, I got the dreaded “Unable to mount location: Failed to retrieve share list from server” message. I hacked on this for the next hour and managed to successfully mount my DiskStation shares in Ubuntu. Read on!
- Find the IP address of the DiskStation. (The DiskStation’s DSM Network control panel will show it, grayed out, under DHCP settings)
- Open a terminal on the Ubuntu machine and do:
- Hit enter on the prompt for “Domain”
- Enter your password for the admin account on the DiskStation.
- You should now see your share in Ubuntu’s “Go” menu.
If you have any problems, try running
smbclient -L -U admin
to see if the DiskStation is listable by Samba.
Hope this helps someone!